Dry At Last


Well, my roof is finally done. I can now make the informed decision to never, EVER become a roofer. The entire process, while not technically challenging at all, is physically tolling, and much more importantly, time consuming as all get out

I'd pretty much set aside October as Roof Month. I figured that was ample time, after all, it's a straightforward process:

1. Ridge beam and rafters up

2. Plywood

3. Underlayment

4. Drip edge

5. Roof panels

6. Trim

7. Ridge cap

Easy peasy, amirite?

Yes and no.

The ridge beam went up easily enough, and the rafters, too.


Hanging from the rafters!



I was feeling pretty taxed but also fairly hear-me-roar after managing to sheath that whole bad boy all by myself (I have no pictures of this because I kept working til dark. Also, my entire body was mush by the end of each day, and climbing up on the damn thing again just for a photo simply wasn't happening). I honestly felt like the hard part was pretty much done- metal roofing is a hell of a lot lighter than plywood.

Then I remembered that I know squat about putting on a roof. Unlike every other step in the build so far, I found my research on techniques for installation and anatomy of metal roofing to be pretty inconclusive. A lot of experts (and "experts," as the internet is rife with those) contradict each other, and even the manufacturers themselves don't have terrifically helpful resources for non-professionals. So actually figuring out what I needed to buy, and how I needed to install it took more of October than I'd counted on. But, finally, I made my decisions, placed my orders, and discovered that for reasons completely unfathomable to me, New York State wouldn't allow my gable trim to be shipped. My panels, ridge vent, and drip edge, not a problem. But my poor gable trim, made out of the exact same steel as the rest of the roof, violated god-knows-what rule. So I had to have it shipped to Vermont, drive out and pick it up there. But not, of course, until November. The old Home Depot needed three weeks to ship, and suddenly Roof Month became Roof Months.

But, you know what, sh*t happens, and after a brief bout of annoyance, I made peace with it. In the meantime I sheathed my wals, and for my own future reference, and any other DIYers out there, I highly recommend doing that BEFORE working on your roof at all. It stabilizes your frame more, and it was a pain in the ass getting up under the eaves to sheath.


During this waiting period, my dad came to visit from the UK, and as a fellow tiny house enthusiast and the person from whom I inherited most of my handiness, having him see my progress was the best.



Hanging out in my loft!


Eventually, I had all of the pieces of my soon-to-be roof in the same state and location, but then the next step tripped me up a bit, too. I've zilch experience working with metal, and underestimated how long simply cutting my panels to size would take.


Looked pretty cool, though!

So, yet another day's delay under my belt, I FINALLY set to work getting the underlayment and panels up. And it was a damn breeze.

That's the funny thing about the entire roofing process feeling like such an ordeal; when it came to actually getting the ACTUAL roof on, it was a simple and speedy job


3/4 of the panels on


Laying down the ridge vent block




After so many obstacles and having to wait for the weather and circumstances to cooperate, suddenly I'd finished the job, and couldn't quite believe it. I sealed any potential paths for water to come in, and my lovely house became much, much drier!

Someday the roof will get painted, and I'll add gutters, but for now I can breathe freely knowing I don't have to clamber up a shaky ladder onto slippery steel for a long time.

#tinyhouse #home #borealishouse #house #construction #DIY

  • Facebook
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram

© 2019 Linnea Page